Itang, Gambella region / United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF: Capacity Building for Itang Water Utility
In November of 2019, UNICEF has provided an extension of the Capacity Building Project for the Itang Water Utility, ITWU, located in the Gambella region of Ethiopia, near the South-Sudan border. Since May 2018, Sachsen Wasser, SaWa, is implementing a project to establish and capacitate a newly formed utility responsible for managing the water supply system for the host communities (Itang town, Thupham town and Abol community) and to the refugee camps in the region, namely Tierkidi, Nguenyyiel and Kule, operated by the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, with around 250,000 people to be served.
SaWa’s team in Gambella/Itang provides consultancy services regarding:
- Financial, technical, commercial, institutional, human resource and management training.
- Fostering, coordinating networks and partnerships with and between stakeholders (UNICEF, UNHCR, local and government authorities, Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau, KfW, Non-governmental organizations, NGO, different tribe representatives, etc.).
- Developing and implementing financial, commercial and technical policies and processes to operate and maintain the water supply system.
- Assisting the management board regarding good governance.
- Ad-hoc operation and maintenance support/O&M.
The outcomes are aiming at
- an improved (continues) water supply in the hands of local / regional authorities / bodies,
- long lasting solutions for both refugees and hosting communities,
- equity in terms of distribution of services for access to (water) resources.